- Loose Ends
- About the Event
- The possibilities of thread inform my practice. In this latest body of work, large-scale drawing of threads, lines and imagined textiles address ideas of time spent, repetition and the vocabulary of repair. Tweet
- Event Type
- Painting/Drawing/Illustration, Printmaking
- 01984 624326
- Opening Times
Sat 9th Sun 10th Mon 11th Tue 12th Wed 13th Thu 14th Fri 15th Sat 16th Sun 17th 11:00 - 18:00 11:00 - 18:00 11:00 - 18:00 11:00 - 18:00 11:00 - 18:00 11:00 - 18:00 11:00 - 18:00 11:00 - 18:00 11:00 - 18:00
- Further Information
As a vehicle to explore the potential of line, the vocabulary of thread covers a rich dynamic range. Whether ravelling or unravelling, it can be used as a form of social commentary, whilst capturing autobiographical gestures too.
For much of art history, weaving, knitting, knotting or stitch have been relegated to the craft category, much in the same way that drawing has been seen as a mere preparatory act, the poor cousin of the completed painting or sculpture. Yet today a re-evaluation of both craft and drawing is taking place with major exhibitions and publications devoted to these genres, their economics and politics. Boundaries are shifting and critical theory is repositioning these works, so that ‘function’ is no longer a dirty word and paper has a more equal stake.
In Loose Ends, a body of work based around string constructions, I bring drawing and fibre art together to explore ideas of time spent, concepts of repetition and the beauty of the mistake. Large-scale works on paper let me follow the course of a line, where the hand of the maker is not present but their gesture remains visible.
- Map Loading...
- 25A North StreetWiveliscombeTauntonSomersetTA4 2LA
- For Venue Information
- 01984 624326
- Disabled Access
- Full Disabled Access
- No Toilets
- Guide Dogs Only
- Directions (By Car)
- From The Square, turn right and drive past The Bear towards Wiveliscombe Primary School. 25A is opposite the Fire Station.
- On street parking or nearby North Street Car Park.