Treston Holmes Studio Ceramics
- Open Ceramic Studio and Gallery
- About the Event
- Most pieces are thrown on the wheel with occasional hand built pieces. They are fired to stoneware temperatures and glazed in semi matt or matt glazes. There work features unglazed burnished surfaces, which are then smoke fired. Tweet
- Event Type
- 01984 629684
- Booking Info
- There is no cost for entry. Any breakages must be paid for.
- Age Info
- The gallery is exhibiting ceramics so children must be supervised in the gallery.
- Opening Times
Sat 9th Sun 10th Mon 11th Tue 12th Wed 13th Thu 14th Fri 15th Sat 16th Sun 17th 11:00 - 18:00 11:00 - 18:00 11:00 - 18:00 11:00 - 18:00 11:00 - 18:00 11:00 - 18:00 11:00 - 18:00 11:00 - 18:00 11:00 - 18:00
- Further Information
TRESTON HOLMES STUDIO CERAMICS is now situated at Kenley in Waterrow having moved from Kilve on the north coast of Somerset. Treston set up his studio in 1991 though the interest in ceramics had started 20 years earlier when he was involved in education. Much of Trestonís work is decorative, with form holding most importance in the making.
Some pieces are high fired to stoneware temperatures above 1250 C', glazed with matt or semi matt surfaces or decorated with coloured slips and oxides. Effects are often achieved with multiple firings. Other work is coated with layers of fine liquid clay which is then burnished at the leather hard stage and fired at a much lower temperature and then treated with a smoke firing achieving a leather or wood like surface with carbonization marks redolent of Neolithic pit fired pottery.
Forms are influenced by a number of cultures present and past as well as other potters work. Mediterranean culture such as Greek, Roman, Phoenician and Sumerian wares inform some of the pieces. African and some South American including pre Columbian have also had some influence. Other Potters work have also had their effect such as Hans Coper, Lucy Rie amongst others from more modern times
- Map Loading...
- KenleyWaterrowWiveliscombeTauntonSomersetTA4 2AT
- For Venue Information
- 01823 400911
- Disabled Access
- Limited Disabled Access (Steps, inclines and some uneven surfaces.)
- Toilets Available
- No Dogs
- House of F cafe - Tea, coffee, soup, cake.
- Directions (By Car)
- From Wiveliscombe take the B3227 towards Bampton. Follow for approximately 3 miles. Just before the Rock Inn at Waterrow, take the left turn. Quarter of a mile on the left look for signage.
- Available - will be signposted.
- Further Info
- Enquiries welcome via email - mail4F.email@example.com or check our Facebook page.
Events At This Venue
|Event Type||Event Title||Disciplines||Dates (see event page for full info)|
|Exhibition||House of F||Ceramics/Glass, Furniture, Installation/Conceptual, Jewellery, Lecture/Talk/Discussion, Mixed Media, Model Making, Music, Painting/Drawing/Illustration, Photography/Film/New Media, Poetry/Fiction, Sculpture/Carving, Street Event/Circus, Textiles/Fashion, Theatre||9th, 13th, 14th, 15th, 16th, 17th|
|Exhibition||Treston Holmes Studio Ceramics||Ceramics/Glass||9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th, 15th, 16th, 17th|